Captain Bush Lane was named for the Englishman John Bush who came to serve as Harbor Master in1853, during the reign of Rama IV. His knowledge, abilities and ingenuity in performing official duties resulted in his receiving royal titles. In the reign of Rama V he served as Commander of the Royal Barge and captained several trips for him to Singapore and India in 1870 and 1871 so “Captain” was added to his name. Privately, he set up the first shipyard of Phra Nakhon, called Bangkok Dock and became very wealthy. He built a grand house on the banks of the Chao Phraya River near The Harbour Department’s office. Today no trace of Captain Bush’s house remains, only a memorial. People had been calling the lane where it was located “Captain Bush Lane” from the time it was built but currently it is officially known as Soi Charoenkrung 30.