The patriarch of the Xavier’s family was a Maccanese immigrant who settled in the Rosario community around 1840, named Joaquim Maria Xavier and he served in the courts of Rama III and IV and V.
His son, Luis Maria Xavier settled in Talat Noi behind the Kalawar (Holy Rosary) Church. He was translator for the Harbor Department and started his own rice mills. The prosperous Xavier clan donated money for construction of the Kalawar Church so the Xaviar family name still appears under the stained-glass windows.
Luis’ son, Celestino Maria Xavier, eventually became The Permanent Undersecretary of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs for Rama VI. He also invested in real estate, being one of four who built Si Phraya Road. Other family business included the first public transport system with trams covering 33 kilometers to Pak Nam. His daughter Margaret Lin Xavier became the first female doctor in Thailand.